Thursday, June 7, 2018

I like #7

I like books!

Good old fashion books with paper
pages and dog eared corners.

I grew up in a home where reading
was highly valued. My parents would
buy paperbacks and each put their
initials on the front page once 
they had read it.

I have found memories of reading 
late into the night, by flashlight, 
Adventures and Mysteries. My
house received the Reader's Digest
condensed books every few months...
it was a contest to see who got to
the book first!

When I had my own kids, I 
encouraged them to read. I would
buy them flashlights, so they could
read late into the night. I did
the same thing for my Grandkids.

Some of my favorite books:

1.The Giver by Lois Lowry

A World where you do not have choice.
You do the job you are assigned....
You raise a child given to you and that
is the only child you will be allowed...
You suppress you feelings and emotions.
One boy changes all that....
I found this book when my oldest child
was in Elementary School.


2.The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

I read the  book in 7th Grade and later saw
the movie. At 12 years old, I could not imagine
the horrible World Corrie and her sister lived in
and yet, they both forgave their enemies and
found the good in all people.

3.The Eagle has Landed

I read it as a Readers Digest
condensed book as a teenager.
I later saw the movie starring
Donald Sutherland. 
I love the female lead character who,
in her loneliness, is fooled by Sutherland
trickery, but in the end, she is strong
and saves her family and Country.

I know there are many more books I could
list, but I will stop right here.

I have inherited many books from
my family. They bring  back fond memories.
My Grandmother use to write notes of her
thoughts or feelings in her favorite books.
I love reading those notes still.....

Come read some great "I like" posts at

4 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Ahhh, books. I adore books. Real, page turning books, ebooks, audio books - love them all. I just started the fourth Amos Decker book called The Fallen. So good - I want to stay up all night reading! I remember doing that with the Silence of Lambs series. Wow, those were page turners! Happy Thursday!
~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

I love books. Paper books, holding them and turning pages. It's a sensory thing. I grew up with a love of books, and stories that take you to another world. Thank you for the reviews and I began to sense a pattern.

You are quite deep with a concern for humanity and a desire to connect with others.
Very very cool! Thank you so much for sharing with us. I haven't read these books yet.
LeeAnna

PaintedThread said...

I am a constant reader - most nights in bed before I shut off the lights, and often in the morning. Real books - I want the feel of the paper and the weight of the book. Such good stuff.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great likes. I will say I have never read any of those books. But they sound wonderful.