Wednesday, September 19, 2018

I like...

I like the Onion harvest season 
on the farms around my home. 



I love the smell of the onions as the
farm trucks drive by. When my kids were
young, we would go on walks carrying bags
and collect onions that had fallen off 
the trucks.


I like Quilt Fest-Conventions-Shows.


This week is the annual Utah Guild Fest.
I am not taking any classes, but I try to
see the show, visit the vendors and 
donate sometime at one of the auction
tables. I like the create energy you
feel around others who like to create.


I like to thrift shop


I like to get something useful at a 
great low price. We have three main
places I shop....Deseret Industries,
Savers and Goodwill. I get clothes
for the grandkids, books, patterns and
occasionally some kitchen supplies.


I like creating without a deadline


I was invited to show in a textile exhibit
at a local art gallery. I knew about the
show for over a year. I tried different
ideas for two art quilts...nothing was
working. I got more and more stressed.


Then...I realized...it was okay to not
be part of a show. I have never been
comfortable about showing my work.

So...I declined. 
And the World did not end.
Some folks were not happy, but
it wasn't life shattering.

I like reading a book
Actually turning pages.

I am currently reading


I have many other books piled around to
read next. I grew up with parents who
read all the time. I much rather read
than watch TV.

I like having a day off.

The last few months have been scheduled
like crazy. Today, I have a rare day off.
I may sleep in...or read...or knit...
or whatever I want to do!

Join others at 



6 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Suzanne! I love to read as well. My sister and I used to go to the library each Friday. We took the bus, picked out new books and returned others, and then went out for dinner. My sister was 22 years older than me. I used to look forward to Fridays and new books and I think of those days now with very fond memories. I was and still am really blessed. ~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

as you described the feeling of letting go of pressure, I related to it. I like making things for exhibitions and seeing people look at them, but I also could feel the relief of letting go of an obligation when the timing is wrong. You reminded me of the "ramps" festival we happened upon one time traveling. Like onions, they have a wonderful scent, and there were vendors everywhere with ramp dishes to try.
I too like turning the page,

PaintedThread said...

Creating without a deadline is good. I need another day off, just to catch up on quilting (and I need to go thrift shopping soon, too!).

Judy D in WA said...

I love your onion story! I like quilt shows too! I've only taken 1 class at a quilt show-from Carol Doak! It was awesome. Thrift stores are so fun but right now they are off limits for me. I have too much and am in purging mode. Scary! No deadlines! I'm too old for that kind of pressure. :-)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There are onion growers around here, too - it even smells good when you just drive by the fields! I love to read, too. I read the book you showed in your post - definitely a page turner!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Hi Suzanne! Love that photo of the onion fields!!! Great likes but I'm with you about showing quilts. It's too much pressure and takes the fun out of the work! I adore yard sales and thrift stores! I hope you have a grand week!