Wednesday, November 14, 2018

I like #27

Another wonderful week of " I Like"
posts at Not Afraid of Color...go
check it out!

I like non-traditional
Christmas Tree's

I grew up with a Mom who created
amazing Christmas Trees

When I was little, our home had huge
windows across the Living room. It
was perfect to show off a tree.


This tree was made from white Pampas grass.
Mom made a tree shaped cone of
chicken wire....started at
the bottom and wired in the grass.
She added gold ornament balls.

She grew the pampas grass in our
backyard. She cut long pieces of it,
sprayed it with cheap hairspray 
(so it wouldn't shed all over)
and hung the pieces in the garage
to dry for a couple of weeks.

Another year, she made a tree out
of another tree shaped cone of
chicken wire...this time she
bunched up pieces of Kleenex
tissue into the wire holes.
Again, she added ornament balls.

Unfortunately, I can't find a photo
of the tissue tree....

Lastly, is my Mom's Philippine
Stick Christmas Tree. She didn't
make this one, but she could have
figured it out....


It is made of a center wood post 
with layers of individual real
tree branches attached with
small nails. The who tree is
hand painted with white paint.

My Mom brought it back to the USA   
after she and my Dad lived in
the Philippines. I inherited it,
repaired and repainted it, 
decorated it and donate it this
last week to a fundraiser

Besides a tree, I always have
many Nativity scenes and sometimes
a Christmas Village.

Do you have something you especially
LIKE for the Holiday season?
Share in the comments....



9 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Suzanne! I have a lot of Christmas decorations from my mom - all of her's I believe. Some of them make appearances and some don't. Diffidently her Nativity scene - it's a simple one but it gets the message across. I know have a train set that I put up that goes through the village pieces. I love watching it in the dark, quiet mornings and evenings. Bliss! Happy Thursday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

I was the one to always set up the silver aluminum tree with the turning three color wheel. It was incredibly '60's! Wish I had it today!!! Did you see my post with the barbed wire Christmas tree? If I thought Milo wouldn't get tangled up in it, I would have bought it for the yard!!

You come by ingenuity and quirkiness naturally!
LeeAnna

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shannon said...

These trees are so cool! I typically am very traditional about Christmas trees, but we're doing something different this year so I won't be able to get one. I love the idea of the chicken wire stuffed with something cool, the pampas grass is awesome. Maybe I'll do something yarny on the chicken wire. Thanks for sparking my imagination!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Although I always have a traditional Christmas tree, it's so fun to see unusual and very creative trees. I love the one made by your mom! My most beloved Christmas decoration is my Nativity made by my dad when we first were married - I still set it up every year!

PaintedThread said...

I've been trying to think of a non-traditional tree to hang all my ornaments on come Christmas time. In the meantime, I enjoy putting lights in the windows, hang holiday cards across the fireplace. Your trees are pretty neat.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your trees are fun sounding. I have a little 3 ft tree that has been my traveling companion for 20 years as I moved around the US. It is prelit and everything. One day it will no longer light and I will be heartbroken.

Jean said...

Pretty trees. I love all the Christmas decorations but I do have a small collection of Nativity sets I always put out each year.

Angie in SoCal said...

We place a nativity scene and lights in every room. Your mom is very clever.