Wednesday, February 6, 2019

I like post 2019-#3

Wow...I can not believe it has been
a entire month since I posted!

I like....

I like Paintstiks

I went to the Road to California Quilt Conference
at the end of January. So many wonderful quilts,
classes and demo's. 


The Conference Center converts some of the
Men's bathrooms over for use of the many women
who are attending...



I took a class on Paintstiks. It basically looks
like a huge crayon, which is a solid form of
oil paint with a wax coating.


I learned how to use rubbing plates, raised
stamps and stencils. I liked the rubbing 
plates best. I bought plates for snow flake
and tile designs.

The Teacher was Laura Murray, who was great!
Here is a video of her explaining the technique.



I like the Beach

I was raised by the beach, but I do not live
close to it. I miss it.


While in California for the Quilt
Conference, I went to Seal Beach.
It was the beach I grew up on as a child.
So calming...and relaxing...


I like to try new things

This week, my Church's
Ladies organization had a paint night.
I am not a painter, but I tried it out.


We painted a Winter Tree.
You could also add heart shaped
leaves to it, but I do not decorate
for Valentines, so I kept it
a Winter scene only.

Not too bad for a first attempt, I think.

Now that I have had a wonderful
week renewing
myself with Sun, Sand, Ocean,
quilting and family,  I am ready
to take on the Utah Winter again!


Join us at Not Afraid of Color
to view other "I like" posts.






10 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Suzanne! Those paintstix are so cool and what a clever idea. I think your painting looks very nice - fabulous for a first attempt! Your picture of the beach and water - ahh, it calms me though the computer. I can imagine hearing the waves. So nice that you got to visit your old stomping grounds. ~smile~ Roseanne

Jean said...

Your painting turned out great! Beautiful beach photos. I bet you do miss living near one.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the ocean, too, but don't live anywhere near it, either! I know exactly how you feel about enjoying getting back to it when you can. I think your painting turned out great!

PaintedThread said...

Your tree is beautiful. Always so nice to return to the beach. Oh, that quilt show! What fun!

Angie said...

Suzanne - what a wonderful concept to convert (temporarily) the mens' bathrooms … Your painting is very good - keep painting, my dear! And thanks for your visit to my blog!

Shannon said...

I like Paintsticks too! I love using them to add subtle color variations where even diluted paint would be too much. I recently used them on a quilt that had to be quickly finished and shipped to a friend, and when she opened it she said the smell of paintsticks filled her whole studio! She let it air out but was another fan of them. I'm so glad you got to go to R2CA, I've never gotten to go but the quilts I see from there are always lovely.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow those paintsticks look awesome. I miss the beach living in the Midwest I only get to the Oregon coast on a rare occasion. Like your painting.

Jerold said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LA Paylor said...

I enjoyed paintsticks but not the odor. I had a bad headache from them, so I gave mine to a good friend. They are nice, but the metallic ones I used on a t=shirt did not launder well. I heat set and washed gently but beware, they fade and quickly. Laura is a good teacher I think.
LOVE your painting. Calm, simple lines, beautiful composition. Keep going with that I think you're a natural. I was raised near Clearwater beach in Fl and can just hear the waves pushing the cochina shells around now.
LeeAnna

Tanza Erlambang said...

awesome...
have a great day