Thursday, July 26, 2018

I like History

I have always liked reading and studying
about History.

When we travel or move to a
new place, I like to find out the
History of the area and people.

We traveled to Baltimore for the first
time earlier this month. We visited
the Civil War Museum in the 
Inner Harbor area.


It is housed in a restored Train Depot.
The museum is quite small...just the first
floor of the building...but has some
wonderful displays and information.
Imagine living through a war,
right in the area you live....

Here in Utah, we just celebrated
Pioneer Day...July 24...the day
the first Pioneers came into the
Salt Lake Valley.


The pioneers started in the Eastern part
of the USA, some coming from 
Europe, and crossed the country,
pushing hand carts or traveling
by wagons.


Both my parents had ancestors who
crossed the plains, settling in
Utah and Idaho
(and eventually California)

We are lucky to have a journal
from a Great Great Grandfather
describing his travels from England.

I also like to research Family
History or Genealogy.
I am an adopted person and
have meet some of my biological
people over the last 20 years.

They have shared the names
and vital info about their
ancestors and some of their
history with me.


This is Esther,
my paternal Grandmother.
She raised a family of 5 children
on a small plot of land in
Western New York state.


This is my daughter.
She is raising her family on
a small plot of land in Utah.
I love seeing the physical
features they share, passed
down through Time.

I like History!

For more "I like" posts, go over to






4 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Suzanne,
I like history, too. I love hearing about all things past, and enjoy spending time with genealogy and researching/finding my ancestors. I cannot even imagine crossing the entire country to settle in Utah or further west. My peeps all settled around Lake Michigan, although I often wonder why they stopped where they did. There is a large Danish heritage here so that must be the reason. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

I LOVE history and the connection between people. My magical power would be to time travel. I want to chat about adoption. I'm adopted and want to find some biological connections but am stuck. Your daughter is beautiful, and so like Esther.
great post, wish I could read your ancestral log too! I always tarry in antique stores over written things like letters and post cards.
LeeAnna

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We love history in our family, too, and have really been enjoying genealogy research recently. It's amazing what you can find out!

Angie said...

Fascinating post - and your daughter has gorgeous eyes! Enjoy your upcoming weekend!